You may have set New Year’s resolutions for yourself, such as to exercise more or to spend quality time with family and friends.
Hopefully you’re still keeping them.
If you’ve set New Year’s resolutions for your home, you can keep them all year long – and beyond.
Just like personal goals, your goals for your home should be to make it more enjoyable and efficient in 2016.
Whether you’re planning on moving into a DeSozio Homes development or you’re happy where you are, here are some home improvement goals you can achieve this year.
1. Declutter early and often
It’s absolutely amazing how much clutter can accumulate in the house.
And even though we may purge through clutter from time to time, it always seems to pile up again.
Instead of waiting for mountains of clutter to form, resolve this year to go room-by-room every so often to get rid of clutter.
Not sure what to get rid of? Try this guideline:
- Clothes: If you haven’t worn it in over 3 years, consider donating it
- Small objects/items: If you haven’t used it in over a year, chances are you never will
- Paperwork: If it’s over 2 years old and not vital, stick it in the recycling bin
Clutter makes your home look tired and old. And getting rid of it is the easiest way to freshen up and feel better about your home.
2. Boost its safety & security
Your house may be as beautiful and pristine as a model home gallery that’s being presented to prospective home buyers.
But is it safe for your family?
There are some things you can easily do to make your home the safe haven it ought to be:
- Install a carbon monoxide detector: You may have a smoke alarm, but CO is colourless, odourless and tasteless. And it can build up in your chimney flue or furnace vent.
- Clear our dryer lint: Cleaning the lint filter isn’t enough. Make a regular habit of cleaning the vents and ducts behind your dryer. Around 15,000 fires/year in Canada are due to dryer lint.
- Make sure there’s proper ventilation: DeSozio Homes’ bathrooms and attics are clear and vented to the outside. If they’re not in your older home, mold could easily develop.
- Invest in a security system: Your home is the biggest investment you’ll make. And nothing’s more important than your family. A security system can keep them both safe.
3. Lower your bills (and help the environment too)
Energy efficiency is a common feature in new homes.
That said, there are other things you can do to lower your home maintenance costs (and keep more money in your pocket):
- Turn off the lights whenever you leave a room
- Use compact fluorescent bulbs
- Install low flow toilets and showerheads in the bathrooms
- Wait for your dishwasher to be full before running it
The best part is that once you keep doing all these things, they’ll simply become a daily habit.
4. Really get to know your neighbourhood
So set aside some time every so often (say, once a month) to go for a walk around your area. You may discover a brand new restaurant. A really cool thrift store, perhaps.
Or maybe you’ll just a wonderful walking route that refreshes and invigorates.
Get to know Harmony on Twenty by registering now for exclusive updates
We’ll help you get the most from your new home
Building and selling new homes is only part of what we do.
At DeSozio Homes, we want to make sure your home is everything you want – and more. That’s why you can always ask us anything about our model homes.
You can also register for upcoming communities. You’ll be the first to receive exclusive updates, invites and even tips on new home living in Hamilton.